CBD has been a buzzword for years and while the research backing it up is incredibly strong, the products that flooded the market were largely nonsense. I started using and studying hemp in 2017 when my son was diagnosed with a rare and debilitating genetic disorder.
The most challenging thing about his disorder is epilepsy. Seizures are the absolute bane of my existence and the pharmaceutical options not only didn’t make sense to me but never seemed to work for him.
The research on hemp being used for epilepsy was really impressive, but what I wasn’t expecting was how incredibly powerful hemp is to address so many different aspects of mental and physical health.
Let’s dive into why CBD is so helpful for anxiety!
Understanding Anxiety and its Impact:
Anxiety affects millions of individuals, especially women between the ages of 30 and 55, and prescriptions for anxiety and depression have skyrocketed among this demographic over the past decade.
Anxiety can manifest as persistent worry, restlessness, and feelings of unease.
While there are various treatment options available, many people are turning to CBD supplements as a natural alternative to support anxiety relief.
What is CBD?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a natural compound found in the cannabis plant. Unlike its counterpart THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD does not produce psychoactive effects. Instead, it interacts with our body’s endocannabinoid system, which plays a crucial role in regulating various physiological processes, including mood, stress response, and emotional well-being.
Research on CBD and Anxiety Relief:
Numerous studies have explored the potential benefits of CBD in alleviating anxiety symptoms. Here are a few key findings:
- A 2019 study published in The Permanente Journal investigated the effects of CBD on anxiety and sleep. The study found that 79% of participants experienced a significant reduction in anxiety, while 66% reported improved sleep within the first month of CBD treatment.
- Another study published in Frontiers in Pharmacology examined CBD’s impact on social anxiety disorder (SAD). The findings indicated that CBD could potentially reduce anxiety in individuals with SAD during public speaking tasks. (I take CBD before every podcast or speech I give… a lot of it!)
- In a review published in Neurotherapeutics, researchers analyzed preclinical and clinical studies related to CBD’s anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects. The review concluded that CBD has substantial potential as a treatment for multiple anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
Using CBD Supplements for Anxiety Relief:
When considering CBD supplements for anxiety relief, it’s essential to select high-quality products from reputable sources. Here are a few factors to keep in mind:
- CBD Source: Look for CBD supplements that have third-party lab testing to show that they do not have pesticides or other toxins in the product.
- Full-Spectrum vs. Broad-Spectrum CBD: Full-spectrum CBD contains a wide range of cannabinoids, including trace amounts of THC (below the legal limit of 0.3%). Broad-spectrum CBD, on the other hand, undergoes additional processing to remove THC while retaining other beneficial compounds. Both options can be effective, but consider your personal preferences and any concerns about THC. (Note: Full-spectrum hemp has been shown to be much more safe and effective than broad-spectrum or isolate CBD extracts).
- Dosage and Administration: CBD dosage can vary depending on factors such as body weight, individual response, and the severity of anxiety symptoms. Start with a low dose and gradually increase if needed. CBD supplements come in various forms, including oils, capsules, edibles, and topicals. Choose a form that aligns with your preferences and lifestyle.
I always joke that I started Radical Roots so that I could make Remy a formula for his epilepsy, but in the process, the hemp healed me and my exhausted mama heart.
Truly, CBD supplements offer a natural and effective approach to alleviating anxiety and promoting overall well-being.
While research on CBD’s benefits is promising, it’s crucial to consult with a healthcare professional, particularly if you have pre-existing medical conditions or are taking other medications.
Remember, self-care and holistic approaches are essential components of finding balance and happiness in life.
Empower yourself with knowledge, make informed decisions, and embrace natural solutions like CBD to support your journey towards greater calm, joy, and overall well-being.
- Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., & Hughes, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. The Permanente Journal, 23, 18-041.
- Crippa, J. A., Guimarães, F. S., Campos, A. C., & Zuardi, A. W. (2018). Translational Investigation of the Therapeutic Potential of Cannabidiol (CBD): Toward a New Age. Frontiers in Immunology, 9, 2009.
- Blessing, E. M., Steenkamp, M. M., Manzanares, J., & Marmar, C. R. (2015). Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders. Neurotherapeutics, 12(4), 825-836.